Pageviews past week

Sunday, January 21, 2018

My Way or God's Way?


Genesis 1:27, 2:15-17, 3:1-7

I just spent 4 days with my delightful 3 1/2 year-old granddaughter Maxine and her family. Maxine is full of life and has a vivid imagination, and we spent a lot of time playing games, reading books, taking walks, and having fun together.  But she does not like to be told 'no' or even 'not now.'

 "Grandma, I just want to read one more book.  Just one more."  (and that's after she solemnly promised she would go to bed after we read three books).  "Grandma, I want one more snack.  Just one."  (after she knew that snack time was over).

Grandmas are inclined to be indulgent, especially grandmas who live far away and don't see their little ones often.  And asking for more books to read, or one more handful of goldfish, doesn't seem like a high crime, does it?  And yet, we want what we want, don't we....

Maxine isn't all that different from Adam and Eve.  God clearly set the rules, and they decided to listen to the serpent - Satan - rather than their Creator.  And yes, we do the same thing.  Every day.

We listen to the one who promises us immediate gratification, rather than the one who "created us in his own image."  Meditate on that phrase for a moment - it is almost too much to take in.  David says it beautifully in Psalm 139:

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

And how do we honor that gift of life?  We, just like Adam and Eve, see the forbidden fruit - we reach for it - we justify our sin - and we make excuses for why we don't obey.  Yes, we are just like the little child who solemnly promises she will go to bed after 3 books, but then bargains to get additional reading time.  Our nature is selfish, but our God is all forgiving and all compassionate.  In Psalm 103, we read this:

as far as the east is from the west,
    so far has he removed our transgressions from us.

Lord, forgive me when I ignore your commandments and decide that I know best.  Help me to follow you and live my life to worship you.  Amen.

No comments: