Pageviews past week

Friday, March 23, 2018

FOR WHAT ARE YOU KNOWN?



 

As I was watching Billy Graham’s funeral earlier this month, I was struck not by the number of people who spoke during the service (though there were many). Nor was I in awe of how many nations, tribes and tongues were represented (but it was significant). What began to emerge with each subsequent speaker was a consistent and powerful message of how Billy Graham lived his life. He was a man who loved The Lord Jesus above all and preached only from God’s word.  The passion and focus throughout his long ministry never changed – that everyone hear the Gospel and come to believe in the Savior.  Billy Graham was known by all for this passion.

 

I recently attended the funeral of a friend I had been in choir with many years ago.  Three of her closest friends were to share a memory of her, but before they began, the pastor came into the audience with a microphone, inviting anyone to tell a memory of “Joan” [not her real name]. Again, there was a consistent theme.  Words repeated often were “kind,” “mischievous,” “loved Jesus, loved her family.”  Joan was known by these qualities.

 

In our reading today, Saul (later also known as Paul) had a well-known reputation that brought fear to the early disciples.  He had made it his mission to persecute the followers of the Lord (Acts 9:1-2).  No wonder Ananias baulked when, in a vision, Jesus told him to go to where Saul was staying.  “But, Lord, I’ve heard…how much harm he did to Your saints at Jerusalem, and here he has authority…to bind all who call upon Your name,” Ananias answered, hesitantly.  Saul was known for his threats and persecution of the saints.

 

But that was about to change, as the Lord had chosen him to be one of the foremost spokesmen of the Gospel (Acts 9:15).  He became a well-known teacher and beloved brother in the faith.  He would suffer greatly for the sake of Jesus because of his out-spoken witness of the Gospel.  Paul (formerly Saul) was known for his boldness and dependence on God.

 

During these past weeks, I have been giving more thought to, ”What might I be remembered for?” I think most of us want to know that our lives made a difference. I’ve told several of my friends that I want to finish well in my walk with God.  It would be one of my greatest joys to be known as, “One who loved Jesus to the end.”  How about you?  For what do you want to be known?

No comments: