Pageviews past week

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The Holy Spirit Transforms Us



My little grandson had many questions about God, and especially the Holy Spirit. I searched for words, (how to explain to him the mystery of the Trinity that I too had pondered many times.) I asked (the Helper) to help me. Soon after, I remembered something I read several years ago.
St. Augustine was trying to understand the meaning of the Holy Trinity and was frustrated doing so. His brilliant mind couldn’t comprehend the concept of the “three-in-one” Godhead. One day he was walking along a beach, and he saw a little girl digging a hole in the sand and with a small bucket putting ocean water into the hole. When he asked her what she was doing, she replied, “I’m trying to put the ocean into this hole.”
It was then Augustine had an “aha” moment. He began to realize that was exactly what he was trying to do with God; attempting to understand the infinite with his finite mind. It was simply impossible.
How could I explain “infinite and finite-a seemingly hidden mystery” to my grandson? My son read the Chronicles of Narnia when he was a boy and had read them to his young sons. In his collection of books, I found the following letter.
Dear Ruth,
Many thanks for your kind letter, and it was good to hear that you like my books. What a good letter you write at your age! If you continue to love Jesus, nothing much can go wrong with you, and I hope you may always do so. I’m thankful that you realized the hidden story in the Narnian books. It is odd, children nearly always do, grown-ups hardly ever.
God bless you, C.S. Lewis – October 26, 1963.
“Thank You Lord for revealing to us the mystery of Your Holy Spirit that transforms our minds and hearts, enabling us to recognize Your powerful presence in our lives.”

No comments: