Pageviews past week

Sunday, July 22, 2018

From Dark to Light

I John 1:5-10

Were you transfixed by the story of the Thai soccer team trapped in the underground cave?  Did you check each morning to see if yet another group of boys was successfully rescued?  Did you marvel at the incredible skill of the divers who fought against incredible odds to bring them safely out of the dark, deep caves, with flood waters swirling around them?

Here is the headline from the Friday, July 19th, Wall Street Journal:

Thai Boys Moved From Dark to Light, Physically and Mentally, After Being Trapped in Cave


From dark to light!  What a wonderful metaphor for the Christian life.  The Message translates I John 1:5 beautifully:

God is light, pure light; there's not a trace of darkness in Him.

The cave that the boys were in for 10 days before rescuers found them was dark.  Very dark.  Their 25-year-old coach kept them safe, and he allowed only one flashlight to be on at a time - to preserve the light they had as long as possible.

Where are you in your walk with the Lord?  Are you walking in the light, rejoicing in what God has done for you?  Or are you cowering in the dark cave?  I find that my faith journey is full of ups and downs - for weeks I am walking with Jesus, side by side, and delighting in his light and love.

But the darkness seems to be just around the corner - I pay lip service to the light, and I seek the darkness. I think, somehow, that God won't notice.  That I can take credit; that I don't need him.

Lord, I want to walk in the light, but my sin and my ego gets in the way.  You are light, pure light, and I ask for strength to follow you, wherever you lead.  Amen.  



No comments: