Pageviews past week

Friday, July 20, 2018

Power Ballad

1 John 3: 16-24

As I began reading today’s scripture, I made it no further than the first eight words This is how we know what love is, then God whispered, “We’re going to take this back to 1984 – a true bible blast from the past.”  

Foreigner’s “I Want to Know What Love Is” started playing in my head.

Soon I found myself on Google trying to find the lyrics of song that played on the radio non-stop during my pre-teen years.

At first, I wasn’t sure how God was going to use what I thought was an obvious ode to physical/human love to mesh with 1 John 3:16-24. No problem, He said “take a look at the lyrics and then check out what John wrote in verse 18,” Dear Children, let us not love with words or speech, but with actions and in truth.

Um...
I want to know what love is, I want you to show me
I want to feel what love is, I know you can show me

SHOW ME, not tell me.  Not with words, but with actionsAs The Message translation stateslet’s not just talk about love; let’s practice real love.

Then He asked me to dig a little deeper and before long, I was reading an article on a website I’d never heard of before, www.loudersound.com. In it, guitarist and songwriter Mick Jones is quoted as saying, “I don’t know where it came from. I consider it a gift that was sent through me. I think there was something bigger than me behind it. I’d say it was probably written entirely by a higher force.

“See, I told you,” God said.

I went on to discover that Foreigner invited the New Jersey Mass Choir to record the song with them, but after several attempts, they just weren’t feeling it. UNTIL…they formed a circle and said the Lord’s Prayer together. Divine inspiration struck, and a hit was born.

So what is the answer to the 1984 classic quest to know love...Jesus! No matter the year, Jesus is how we truly know what love is.

No comments: