Pageviews past week

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Sex God's Way


I Corinthians 6:12-20

This is not an easy passage to read in 2018, as traditional sexual identities and mores have been rejected by our post-Christian culture.  However, if I am honest, it's probably never been an easy passage.  Anytime the topic turns to money, sex, or power, it's easy to get defensive, and to say, hey, it's my choice - I am free to do what feels good:  I'm forgiven in Christ.  Take a look at verse 12:  "I have the right to do anything," you say.

 And Paul is talking about sex here - and he doesn't mince words:  Flee from sexual immorality (v. 18).  Don't walk away from it, don't stroll - no - he tells us to flee.

And to what end?  Verses 19 and 20 are great reminders of the purpose God designed for our earthly bodies:

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your bodies. 

If I am to honor God with my body, that includes sexual morality as well as how I care for my body.  Do I treat it as a temple of the Holy Spirit?  Do I satisfy human cravings for instant gratification, both sexual and food-related?  Or do I pray for wisdom, for patience, for a heart that seeks God's goodness, not my own shallow fulfillment?

Only then will I truly be satisfied.  The Psalmist says it well in the 42nd psalm, verse 1:

As the deer pants for streams of water,
So my soul pants for you, O Lord.

Lord, I confess that often I want what satisfies me in the moment, and I fail to honor you with my body.  It's your temple, Lord, and when I give myself to you, only then will I be truly fulfilled.  Amen.  


No comments: