Pageviews past week

Monday, August 20, 2018

Strength for Today

Exhausted.  Drained.  Depleted.  Any of these words describe how you are feeling?  Do you ever think, “I don’t know what to say or how to answer this person?”  Or, “I’m so exhausted myself, how am I supposed to help someone else?”  We can find some answers in our scripture reading for today.  1 Peter 4:11 says:

“If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God.  If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ….”

Acts 7:38 tells us more about “the very words of God”:

“He (Moses) was in the assembly in the desert, with the angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai, and with our fathers; and he received living words to pass on to us.”

So, Moses received living words from the Lord, which were recorded and passed on to us!  Don’t know what to say to someone?  Let’s start with the living words of God!

The next part of 1 Peter 4:11 says, “If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides”.  Do you sometimes feel as if you don’t have the strength to help someone else?  Correct – you don’t!  But God does!  Let’s go back to Moses for an example.  Exodus 3:10-12 says:

“So now, go, I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.  But Moses said to God, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”  And God said, “I will be with you.  And this will be a sign to you that it is I who have sent you:  When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain.”

God doesn’t try to encourage Moses by listing out all the skills and abilities that Moses has.  He simply tells him, “I will be with you”.  This is great news!  It doesn’t matter that you feel ill-equipped because God is with you!  He has the strength you need!

Now fast forward to 1 Peter and we see the same message.  “If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ….”

Why do we serve with strength from God?  So that He may be praised!  Amen.

1 Peter 4:1-11

No comments: