Pageviews past week

Friday, October 19, 2018

HEARER IN THE MIRROR

Reading: James 1:22-25

“Prove yourselves doers of the Word and not merely hearers.” James admonishes the readers of his letter (James 1:22).  He continues with an illustration. For if someone is only a hearer and not a doer, James likens him to a person who looks in a mirror but continues “on with whatever he was doing without the slightest recollection of what sort of person he saw in the mirror (vs 24, Phillips).”

Essentially, it is like letting words go in one ear and out the other. I am reminded of when one of my responsibilities as a nurse was to orient new staff to their duties in the Operating Room. I would tell and demonstrate how to do a particular skill. The orientees may nod that they heard what I said, and continue doing it an incorrect way. I would probably conclude they weren’t listening. So, how would I know if they actually heard and understood what I told them? I would be able to observe that they actually could do what I had shown them. They were now doers and not just hearers.

In the same way, James urges us to look in the mirror of God’s perfect law and abide by it (that is, do it) – don’t be a forgetful hearer but an “effectual (be successful in producing a desired result) doer (vs 25, NASB).”

While being an “effectual doer” in the Operating Room is extremely important for the physical welfare of patients, what James is warning us about is essential to our spiritual lives… And the benefit? We will be blessed in what we do (vs 25). I want that, don’t you?

Help me, Lord, to be more that a listener or a reader of Your Word – I want to be a doer of Your Word. Help me walk in obedience to You and what You want for my life. Amen.

No comments: