Pageviews past week

Friday, May 17, 2019

Open to the Possibilities

Romans 8:5-8

Sometimes I catch myself clenching my fists, not out of anger, but anxiety.  My mom says that even as a toddler she’d find me stiffening my arms and legs.  Apparently, “tensing up” has always been my physical reaction to stress.

Over the years, I’ve searched for ways to deal with it constructively – yoga, meditation, breathing – but it wasn’t until I turned to prayer that I started finding some relief.  Life is still a daily struggle against my biological instincts, but it’s more manageable with “open hands.”

The world can be a scary, unforgiving place, but that’s where the Holy Spirit comes in.  “The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace” (v. 6).

The flesh brings about heartache, but the Holy Spirit brings joy.  If you want life and not death, peace and not sorrow, then you need to create space for the Holy Spirit.  Make a place for Him and He’ll open your hands and your heart.  Give him room to do his thing, because with the Spirit we can’t help but be open-handed.

And as we unclench our fists, a peace that passing all understanding will come over us.  As a person who struggles with anxiety, Philippians 4:6-7 has become my “go-to”… Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. AMEN

No comments: