Pageviews past week

Friday, January 15, 2021

Jesus Heals / Is Questioned by Pharisees

PRAYER PRACTICE

Breath Prayer – Take 2-3 minutes today to pray a simple breath prayer. Get somewhere quiet and relaxing. Breathe in deeply, and then breathe out fully. As you breathe in, ask God to fill you with His presence, grace, love, peace, etc. Consider using the list of spiritual fruit in Galatians 5:22-23. As you breathe out, offer to God the things you need Him to take from you – sin, doubt, shame, anxiety, fear, etc. Pray this way for just a few minutes, trusting God to work, and then begin reading today’s Scripture.

DAILY READING

Luke 5:12-39


REFLECTION

Friends Forever and Ever

by Judy Webb

 When Jesus saw their faith, he said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven.” (Luke 5:20)

I had been reading through Luke 5:12-39 a number of times, waiting for something new to jump off the page and give me pause. Verse 20 did just that for me today. The word that flashed on and off is 'their'. I am trying not to read more into this than was intended, but after reviewing two other Gospels (Matthew 9:1-8 and Mark 2:1-12) I see the same word used, 'their'.

I know it is probable that I saw this word today because Jesus was trying to tell me something. But just as possible is that maybe Jesus is wanting to tell all of us something. During this season of life in the United States, many of us are at odds with each other over our political preferences. To be honest, I was struggling with this fact too. But then God opened my heart to hear his words.

"If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all." (Isaiah 7:9)

I process difficult things by writing in my journal, and that is often where God takes me to task or teaches me the errors of my ways. A few days ago I was struggling because it was becoming clear to me that some of my dearest friends didn't agree with me, and saw things (politically) from a different perspective. As I questioned Him about this, I could just feel him pointing to a chair and telling me to sit down and listen.

I began to squirm as I sensed God was preparing to change my heart. I was afraid He was going to inform me that I was backing the wrong candidate and that my beliefs were incorrect and that I needed to change my thinking. Well, God was working to change my thinking, but not like I thought. He very clearly reminded me that these friends are Christian friends, brothers and sisters in Christ. In the grand scheme of things, politics don't provide salvation. 

Christian brothers and sisters don't have to agree on anything other than Jesus is Lord and Savior and there is no other. When it comes right down to it, that is all that matters. Our Christian friends help mold and shape us, they pray for us, they stand in the gap for us, and they sharpen us. When I read Luke 5:20 and realized it was 'their' faith that caused Jesus to heal their friend I saw my own friends in a new light. The faith of the friends of the paralyzed man got Jesus attention. This wasn't a political move, but a Kingdom one.

Question to Ponder: Can you see yourself in this friend reference? Do you feel that your friends must see everything as you do, or is faith in Jesus the only non-negotiable, the one true binding force.

No comments: