Pageviews past week

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Six Woes

PRAYER PRACTICE

Cup Prayer – This prayer will help you pour your heart out to God (Ps. 62:8). Begin with your hands folded together like an upside-down cup. Pour out before God all your fears, anxieties, guilt, sin and shame. Tell Him what troubles you. Take time to be specific. When you feel like you’ve poured out your heart, flip your hands over, folding them like an open cup, ready to receive from God. Sit in silence, asking God simply to fill you with His Spirit. If your mind runs back to sin, shame, anxiety or concerns of the day, flip your hands back over and pour it out to the Lord. When you are finished praying, read today’s Scripture and listen as God shares His heart back with you.


DAILY READING

Luke 11:37-53


DEVOTION / REFLECTION

Six Dangerous Steps

by Tom Richards

In today’s reading Jesus has some tough words for the Pharisees and “experts in the law”.  In simple terms, the Pharisees were a Jewish sect in Jesus time known for their strict observance of rites and ceremonies of the written law and for insistence on their own oral traditions. The “experts in the law” were likely highly esteemed scribes, referred to as lawyers in some translations. 

These verses represent at least the sixth time Jesus has encountered this group in the book of Luke. When I read these words of Jesus I find myself cheering him on – “You tell them Jesus”, until I consider that I am often guilty of some of the same things that they are. It is pretty easy to see what Jesus did not want the Pharisees to do, but what were some things he did want them to do? And, what does he want us to do?  Listed below are a few things that I saw in the passage.  Perhaps you can add more:

“But give what is inside the dish to the poor, and everything will be clean for you.” This seems pretty straightforward, Jesus wants the Pharisees (and us) to give of ourselves to the poor. This is a pretty consistent theme in scripture. There are lots of opportunities in our daily lives and through our church to be obedient to our savior in this area. Are we giving to the poor?

“But you neglect justice and the love of God.” These seem to go hand in hand. If we truly love God then it follows that we will want justice, for ourselves and others. Do we demonstrate our love for God by practicing justice in our actions and showing concern for the justice of others?

“You love the most important seats in the synagogues and greetings in the marketplaces.” This seems like a call to humility. This is not something that our culture encourages, but it sure looks like Jesus does. Do we practice humility?

“You load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.” To me, Jesus is calling on the “experts in the law” to serve. They were speaking from a place of “privilege” in their time but Jesus challenges them to serve others.  Are we serving others?

“You have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered and you have hindered those who were entering.” I would argue that the “key to knowledge” is the truth of God’s word and the good news of Jesus. Do we study his word and do we share the gospel and God’s word with others?

Consider and Reflect: This reading has given me some things to consider as I venture further into 2021. I hope it does the same for you! 

2 comments:

Robin Lorms said...

Tom:

Thank you for your insightful commentary. I have never looked at this scripture from the standpoint you presented. It is convicting, to say the least. Most times I give myself a passing grade in serving others and giving to those in need. That said, am I serving as Jesus would serve? Am I giving as Jesus would give? I am constrained by my fleshly desires and can up the ante in all the areas you mention. Excellent study!

Robin Lorms

Robin Lorms said...

it looks like it is actually 7 woes.