Pageviews past week

Sunday, June 27, 2021

One Anothering Ain't Easy

DAILY READING

Ephesians 6:10-18

Sermon Discussion guide

DEVOTION / REFLECTION

A Standing Soldier

by Elaine Pierce

I have read this passage many times, as I am guessing you have.  I often picture a knight in all his armor, getting ready for battle, when I read verses 13-17.  But as I read the passage today, praying about what I could write for this blog, verse 13 struck me in a new way.  Notice the word 'stand' is used twice in this verse:  

Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  

Why would a soldier, after putting all that armor on - the shield, the helmet, the sword, the breastplate - why would he simply stand?  Isn't the point of the armor to protect him while he is in the heat of the battle?  Isn't he wading into the fight?  Yes, he is, and Paul clearly warns us that there are 'powers of this dark world.....spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.'  Satan is very much alive and he will work hard to defeat the truth.  But who is fighting this battle?  Are we fighting it, or is God fighting for us?  

Note how the armor is described.  Look at these words Paul uses to describe the Christian's armor:

  • the belt of truth
  • the breastplate of righteousness
  • feet fitted with the readiness of the gospel of peace
  • the shield of faith
  • the helmet of salvation
  • the sword of the Spirit
It is easy to feel defeated by a world that is hostile to our faith.  It is easy to want to lash out when we feel attacked by a culture that doesn't value truth, righteousness, peace, faith and salvation.  But responding to hate and anger in kind rarely wins souls to Jesus.  This passage is reminding me that Jesus has given me all I need, abundantly so, and that when I am standing in his armor, in his truth, in his gospel, that even the worst kind of hate, anger, or attacks cannot harm me.  

Romans 12:17-19, is a good reminder that the battle is the Lord's, and he will win in the end:

Do not repay anyone evil for evil.  Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.  If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.  Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written:  "it is mine to avenge;  will repay," says the Lord.  

What a privilege it is to be in God's army!  To stand with him and to serve others because he first loved us.  Thanks be to God!  



No comments: