Pageviews past week

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Dear Readers, We want to let you know that we are moving to a new platform. Your morning reflections can now be found here. You can sign up to have them emailed to you each day, just like you do now on this site. Again, the new platform is located on the UALC website. (https://www.ualc.org/dailyworship) Contact Judy Webb if you have questions (judithannie.webb@gmail.com). This site will have new content until October 26, 2021

DAILY READING

REFLECTION

Treasured
by Judy Webb

Writing for Daily Worship has helped me to fall in love with God’s Word. My passion for it has deepened and I find it such fun as well as a joy to discern what the respective readings say to me. I enjoy digging deep and discovering how God wants to talk to me each day. Sometimes He is telling me to keep doing what I am doing, sometimes I sense He is communicating a change needs to happen. Other times I just relish the feel of love and acceptance from the words written on the pages of my Bible.

The reading today is no exception. I have to share with you that I have struggled with contentment these past few years; especially since retiring, selling my home of 40+years, and moving into a condo community. I longed for the days when I had a bigger place, a backyard I could spend time gardening in. It was so bad that I began to dream of buying another home and going into debt. How ridiculous.

“You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself.  Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession.” (Exodus 19:4-5)

Then God used my negative attitude, and my ungrateful heart, to teach me a lesson in contentment. As I would whine about my life, I sensed God’s displeasure. I began to examine all he had done for me up to this time and was ashamed of my ungrateful spirit. He has provided for me is so many ways, and none of which do I deserve.

HE IS ENOUGH. I should know that when I look back at my life and see his hand everywhere. I see the times he ‘carried me on eagle’s wings’, the times he bailed me out of financial troubles, when he rescued my heart from grief and assured me that I would see my husband again.  When I honestly take a good hard look at where I am and at all I have because of his goodness, I realize I am a treasured possession.

God told Moses to tell the Israelites that they too will be His treasured possession when they obey him fully and keep his covenant. As God’s people we must be set apart and we must think and act differently than the world in general. It will be more than enough when we realize we are Prized Possessions.

PRAYER PRACTICE

Prayer Journal – To begin your daily worship today, grab a pen and paper and write out a prayer to God. Give thanks to God for all that He gives. And then finish with supplication –with your prayer requests to God. When you are done, tuck this away somewhere (so you can read it later and see how God has answered your prayers) and then move into hearing from God through His Word.

No comments: