Pageviews past week

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Prosperity and Peace

DAILY READING

Deuteronomy  15:1-6

REFLECTION

Prosperity and Peace

by Judy Webb

I need to confess upfront that when I read these six verses for this daily reading I flinched. First off, I knew I needed to research and see just what this section is about. I am familiar with the Jubilee season, as a number of years ago it was our (UALC’s) focus. It was during this time I learned about the value of paying off debts and even more so, the value of not acquiring debt in the first place. It was during this season our congregation paid off a huge loan, making us debt-free.

A few years after this lesson, I took a class on gaining financial independence, called “Financial Peace.” I still live by the principals taught during this course. As I read up on this chapter of Leviticus in a commentary I learned even more about the practice and importance of gaining financial peace and independence.

“At the end of every seven years you must cancel debts. This is how it is done: every creditor shall cancel every loan they have made to a fellow Israelite. They shall require payment from anyone from among their own people, because the Lord’s time for canceling debts has been proclaimed.” (Deuteronomy 15:1-2)

This was a common practice; money was always loaned with the understanding that in seven years the debt would be canceled. So, there would be no long-term debt. As Israel obeyed this command, there would never be a permanent under-class in Israel. Ingenious! While some may have periods of misfortune, there was always to opportunity to rebuild financially on a regular basis.

While this is not widely practiced today, these principles of obtaining financial peace are important. It is the way we control our desires for more. It is how we learn to be content with what God has provided, and in turn practicing generosity toward others. “For the Lord your God will bless you as He has promised…”(verse 6a)

PRAYER PRACTICE

Dear Jesus, Show me how to practice this sort of financial well-being. Bless the fruits of this effort with a generous spirit and a peace-filled life.

No comments: