Pageviews past week

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Friends For Life Ecclesiastes 4:7-12


Years ago, handkerchiefs were commonplace and served many purposes. One of which was to carry our lunch money. Mom would secure the coins in one corner and tie them in place. Then the other corner of the material would be fastened to a belt loop.

My first day of school my grandfather gave me a special handkerchief. It was special because there was a picture embroidered on one corner, a picture of two smiling faces with words underneath them reading, “Two heads are better than one.” I have never forgotten that gift.

The words of King Solomon in Ecclesiastes have been meaningful to me. I am especially drawn to Eccl 4:7-12. Having chosen to live much of my life in isolation and without friends, these words now touch my heart. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (NIV) Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!

Dear God,

Thank you for putting others in my life, to walk along side me. You never intended for us to go it alone. You created us to live together, to survive and thrive in each other’s presence. Amen

Read text on Biblegateway Eccl 4:7-12

No comments: