Pageviews past week

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Attitude Is Everything, 1 Peter 4

My dad is a Marine. Growing up I was often confused by his attitude on life. He never seemed afraid or intimidated; he didn’t know a stranger or care what other people thought of him. My response to his seemed indifference was embarrassment. Today I see things differently. I recognize my father’s actions as confidence, which he learned in the Corp.

1 Peter 4 reminds me of my father, “Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.” I love the phrase, arm yourselves with the same attitude. Before my son was one, my dad sent him a Marine Corp T-shirt sporting the phrase, Attitude is everything.

As a Christian, life should not be easy, we ought to live so different from the world that we stick out. If we truly are living holy, we’ll need our attitude to keep focused. 1 Peter states, "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ…” We should actually be surprised if we are not suffering. In the same way I didn’t understand my father, the world will not understand us.

1 Peter calls us to find hope in our suffering, “However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.” Do you need to be accepted by God, or by the world?  If your choice is God, attitude is everything.

Read today's entire scripture on Biblegateway 1 Peter 4

No comments: