Pageviews past week

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Living Free - 1 Peter 2:13-25

Are you living free? Peter tells us that as Christians we are free, but we are never free to do evil. Those who do not know Christ remain slaves to sin. True freedom comes with stepping up and obediently serving God.

Peter clarifies that our freedom comes with responsibilities. Authorities over us are humanly sinful just like every one else. However, God puts these authorities in place and they are to be respected. We have obligations to people with power over us, but our responsibilities to God and to other believers are more important. We love God and do not want to displease Him by sinning, nor do we want to lead others off track. Therefore, we must not obey if we are tempted or told to sin by those in power over us.

Jesus took our sins to the cross. We are set free by His death. Peter describes how Christ suffered and responded to unjust treatment. He never sinned or deceived anyone. He did not retaliate when insulted. He didn't threaten. Jesus was intent on obeying God's will.

I am reminded that experiencing difficult times while doing the right thing is part of what God asks of me. God is pleased when I am conscious of Him, and acknowledging He cares for me. I am to follow Christ's example in my daily life—at work, in my relationships and marriage, and towards the government. I pray daily that I might obediently follow Him, patiently face hard times, serve the Lord, and be an example of living free to others.


We enjoy your comments. Email us directly, here.

To read today's text, 1 Peter 2:13-25, click here. To return to this page use the back arrow.

No comments: