Pageviews past week

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Who's The Boss, Romans 13:1-7

A few weeks ago my husband came home for lunch and as we were eating, we noticed our four-year-olds feet kicking our dog under the table. Steve told him to stop and Evan did, until Steve and I were distracted again in our conversation. Again my husband said stop. Again Evan obeyed until we started talking. A third time Steve looked at Evan and said, “If you don’t stop kicking Bo you will go to time out.” Without hesitation Evan looked at his father and said, “But dad, it’s no big deal.”

Do you treat those in authority the same way? I know I do. I push the speed limit thinking, “eight is great but nine your mine”. When did I become in charge? I have also been known to sneak food into the movie theater justifying it because of the over-priced snacks the theater tries to sell me. It’s no big deal; they make plenty of money off the ten dollars I paid to see the movie.

Reading today’s scripture we see that subverting authority, authority of any kind, is a big deal to God. He clearly says. “Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.” Ouch! That smarts. But remember the promises in this verse, “Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good.”

Read today passage on Biblegateway Romans 13:1-7

No comments: