Pageviews past week

Friday, May 13, 2011

Jail Mail - Philippians 1:1-11

There was a time, not too long ago, when I too was "thanking God every time I remembered all of you," (the fellowship of Believers) for all the care and prayer given to me and my family.  This portion of Philippians speaks to my heart this day, for it is still very fresh in my memory.  There were 77 days our family were upheld by the love and compassion extended by so many in our church family.

"It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me." (Philippians 1:7) There are many types of chains and bondage in this life.  Author and speaker, Jill Bricoe refers to Philippians 1 as "Jail Mail, written by a free man in chains."

Reading over my journal entries from that time period I realize that to some extent those writings are 'jail mail'.  I was chained to a new life, one not of my choosing, but reality none the less.  Like Paul who was literally chained in prison cells and still extolling the grace and mercy of Jesus, my entries acknowledged the same hope for tomorrow.

Was there a time in your past when you too were in chains?  Perhaps that is where you find yourself now.

"And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God." (Philippians 1:9-11)
Read Philippians 1:1-11 here.

Email your comments here.

No comments: