Pageviews past week

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Blood Brothers - 1 Samuel 20

I love this chapter as it is filled with wisdom and great story lines. It is difficult for this writer to choose just one to explore, but let us try it anyway.  Did you ever have a best friend; one who meant so much to you that you always were in each other's company?  Did you ever perform the 'blood-brother' ritual as a youngster, pledging to always be friends?  Come on...admit it.

"But show me unfailing kindness like the LORD’s kindness as long as I live, so that I may not be killed, and do not ever cut off your kindness from my family—not even when the LORD has cut off every one of David’s enemies from the face of the earth.” (1 Samuel 20:14-15)

The friendship between David and Jonathan is one I have admired and try to emulate.  As I grow closer to God I recognize He does not want me to be friendless.  As my spiritual life develops I see how important it is be for me to have a girlfriends.  Some friends have been given to us because they can show us how to laugh and enjoy life.  Others are God's gift to us as prayer partners or accountability partners.  Once in a while we are fortunate enough to find all those qualities rolled into one or two people.

Who do you count as friend?  Do they know how important they are to you?


Read 1 Samuel 20 here.

No comments: