Pageviews past week

Friday, June 17, 2011

Getting A Dose Of My Own Medicine- Luke 6:27-36

Today’s passage is difficult for me to put into practice. “But to you who are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you.”

I totally appreciate the way it begins, “To you who are willing to listen…” Luke knows that the words coming next will not go down easy, so he is preparing the reader. He is asking, are we willing to listen? Luke knows that it goes against human nature to, “do good to those who hate you.” I would much rather steer clear of those who hate me. Avoid those who curse me and get even with those who hurt me.

Why is God making such a request? Isn’t it enough to reach out to the lost who, mean us no harm?

I looked up the word hate; “To show extreme hostility toward”. Think about that, every time we sin we are being hostile toward God. I don’t know about you but I sin A LOT. So I guess you could say I show extreme hostility toward God. I oppose Him with each sin. It’s as if I am saying I know better.

Next I looked to curse. One definition read, "to blaspheme which means to speak impiously or irreverently of (God or sacred things), to speak evil of; slander; abuse." I know that my words do not always bless God, most of the time my words focus on myself rather than my heavenly father. When I take credit away from God, both directly and indirectly, through my words, I am being irreverent.

Lastly is the word hurt, I didn’t need to look that one up, I can already see how the previous definitions show ways I hurt God, yet He does not hold it against me. Rather he died for me. All of my sins nailed Jesus to the cross yet he did not go to the cross reluctantly, he went lovingly. And all he asks is that we show others the same love and grace.

Read today's passage at Biblegateway Luke 6:27-36

No comments: