Pageviews past week

Monday, July 11, 2011

Acts 8:5-25

God knows our heart.  That is a frightful concept if your heart is anything like mine. When I read the scripture for today I am given pause to examine my heart, my motives.  I must constantly stay on top of my intentions; making sure I am acting with pure love and humility.  There are times I get to feeling like I am something pretty special when in fact I am just the opposite.

When Simon told Peter he would be willing to pay for the gifts Peter experienced, Peter recognized that Simon's heart was not right with God, his motives were for self-advancement and not the spreading of the Gospel. "When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money 19 and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 8:18-19).


I wonder at times if my heart is filled with a desire to point to Jesus or to point to me. Do you ever wonder the same?  As a sorcerer, Simon used magic to draw crowds to him and when he saw the kind of deeds Phillip was performing Simon thought it too was magic. What Simon didn't realize is that the source of his power was Satan and the source of Phillip's and Peter's power was God.


Lesson for me today is to check my motives and question who the source of my actions is.  If God is the driving force, I am on the right road.


Read Acts 8:5-25 by clicking here.

No comments: