Pageviews past week

Friday, August 5, 2011

Acts 19:1-22

I am trying to share a point with to help you relate what these verses mean and make them more clear, but I am drawing a blank.  The only thing I am thinking at this point is the time when I knew who Jesus was, I understood Him to be my Savior.  I knew all the things taught to me in catechism classes, but I didn't really care; it made no difference to me.  It is difficult to admit that and write the words here.

But, (thankfully there is a but), at some point I began to cultivate a personal relationship with Jesus and that changed everything for me.  My baptism became important to me and I learned to call upon the Holy Spirit for clarity when reading the Word of God.


While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”
   They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” 
(Acts 19:1-2)


This appears to be another lesson on the importance of The Holy Spirit to our salvation.  The baptism so many had received was from John when he was preparing the way for Jesus; a baptism of repentance--turning from sin and embracing clean living.  Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a sign of new life in Christ.  Like Apollos, these people needed more instruction into the life and ministry of Jesus.  Just like me and probably like you too.

Read Acts 19:1-22 here.

No comments: