Pageviews past week

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Be Ready - Acts 21:1-14


I wonder how many times a day I hear or say the words, "Are you ready yet?" Even now, living alone I find myself thinking this as I prepare to leave for an appointment. So much of my life is preparing for the next day, week, or month. I live life in anticipation of the next event on the calendar taking care to be prepared or ready. The dictionary defines 'ready' as:
  • completely prepared 
  • fit condition for immediate action or use 
  • duly equipped 
  • completed, adjusted, or arranged, as for an occasion or purpose 
  • willing
Then Paul answered, “Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” (Acts 21:13)

Any one of the definitions above could be substituted for the word ready (as found in Acts 21:13), and it would be valid.  As Christians, we are to "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." (1 Peter 3:15) I have to ask myself if I am ready, am I prepared to answer that difficult question posed by a skeptical neighbor?  

When Paul was advised to stay away from Jerusalem he knew he had to go there.  He was completely prepared to share the good news with the people there.  He was in fit spiritual condition for immediate action and he was duly equipped.  Most of all he was willing.  A goal for Christians everywhere is to be ready and willing.  Nothing can stop us then.


Read the Acts 21:1-14 text here.

No comments: