Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Children of God - 1 John 3:1-10

"Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is." (1 John 3:2)

This verse is comforting and disturbing at the same time.  Comforting because it says we are 'children of God', disturbing because we are still in this world and sin surrounds us.  Disturbing because we have free will and are still susceptible to falling short of what a child of God should act like. There is expectation on my part that I will change and will remember my family name is Christian.

1 John is instructing me to love and cast a good example to the world.  To do this I must stay close to Him who is my strength.  "Come near to God and He will come near to you." (James 4:8)  I cannot be sinless in this world, but "what we will be has not yet been made known."  More comfort here, for the junk I am dragging around daily, the baggage I can't seem to unload, will disappear.

I am a work in progress and as long as I draw near to God, he will bless me and refine me and prepare me for the day he appears for the final time.



Read the 1 John 3:1-10 text here.

No comments: