Pageviews past week

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

If you belong, remain - 1 John 2:15-29

1 John 2:15-16 
 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does--comes not from the Father but from the world.

These verses in 1 John may have been relevant in John's time, but they are also pertinent to today's society.  When I find myself worrying about 'things', I am not living as God would want.  When I find myself consumed by all the 'things I don't have' I am moving away from God. Craving things this world offers will get me into trouble and is an indication of my heart.

One of the things I admired about my husband was his indifference to material possessions.  Now, he did enjoy his toys but would give them up in an instant.  When we found ourselves in financial straits many years ago he was so calm and said to me, "So what is the worst that could happen?  We lose the house, okay, we will find and apartment.  As long as the family is together, who cares?"

Isn't that what it boils down to?  Don't you think God is cheering us on when we don't get caught up in the things of the world, but take seriously our call to have self-control, be generous, and live humbly?

Read the 1 John 2:15-29 text here.

No comments: