Pageviews past week

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Acts 6:1-7

Life alone in the north woods of WI can be very peaceful and calming, but it can also become very lonely.  I found myself wondering what I was doing there and discovered I felt like I had no purpose any longer; no real reason to get up each morning.  So, I put this revelation into prayer form and entered it into my journal, seeking God's guidance and plan for me.  Of course he responded quickly. "Serve," was the word I sensed.

I called my pastor and asked if there was something I could be doing at the church, a way I could serve and help.  That was all it took.  I know if I want to feel better about myself, to feel valued and useful, service is the answer.  My attitude, outlook and heart changed almost overnight.

We can track service in Church back to the early church.  Acts 6 is thought to be the story of the first church deacons.  Deacons can be likened to a Care ministry in a church.  The fastest way to forget your troubles and pain is to reach out to help others.  Try it, you will be amazed at the blessings and the change in your heart.

"In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Hellenistic Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. Brothers and sisters, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them 4 and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.” (Acts 6:1-4)
Read the Acts 6:1-7 text here.  Listen to the words here.

No comments: