Pageviews past week

Friday, October 14, 2011

A Trustworthy Saying - Titus 3:1-8

"Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good," (Titus 3:1)
What is good?  Who is good?  Where is good? If I were someone who sat around contemplating my naval, I could take this question to the limit.  Dictionary.com defines good as morally excellent, virtuous, of high quality, well-behaved; and the list goes on.

Quite a few years ago I was working with a man who considered himself to be good.  He told me on a number of occasion he thought he would be going to Heaven when he died because he was good.  I would ask him if he ever went to church and he would respond with, "No, but I am a good person, I don't hurt others, I don't steal or cheat.  Wouldn't you say I am a good person?"

"Yes, I would," was my response to him, "You are a good person."  I think of my co-worker often, and wonder if he ever really got it.  I was so new to the Christian faith that I understood what he was asking me and I knew he wanted me to confirm his salvation, but unfortunately I was still struggling with my own and had no clue how to help him.  Now I pray for him and will have to wait to see if we meet in Heaven.

So, back to the question, "What is good?" If I were asked now I could tell him with confidence that no one is good, no one is good enough to get to Heaven by what they have done.  It is only by what Jesus has done that I will be invited into eternal life.

"But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy." (Titus 3:4-5)

Read the Titus 3:1-8 text here.  Listen to the text here.

No comments: