Pageviews past week

Friday, November 11, 2011

Matthew 5:21-26

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ (Matthew 5:21)
Some reading the devotions this week may find they are uncomfortable; perhaps feeling a bit convicted by the Holy Spirit.  Writing as one who struggled with 'touchy-feely' situations, never allowing any emotional openness to pervade my being, the text for today would have made me squirm.

Relationships can be tricky and they can be sticky as well.  When we find ourselves chewing on resentment for an entire day or week - it is time to do something.  If someone's words cause us to cringe or even cry - it is time to do something.  When the actions of a stranger, who cut us off in traffic, spoil our day - it is time to do something.

My parents used to lecture me saying I was too sensitive, so I toughened up.  For years if I shed a tear I was ridiculed and labeled a cry baby.  So I toughened up; no more feelings allowed. I also did not allow myself to  laugh, for that was a feeling too.  How freeing it is to realize Jesus cried and He laughed.  Jesus was all about relationships, and He taught that we cannot have healthy, meaningful relationships without feelings.

Sometimes feelings need to be addressed and expressed.  When I have made a mistake I need to confess to the person I wronged.  Scary concept?  Sure, but once practiced it is freeing.  When my feelings have been hurt, am I too just stuff it and carry a grudge?  The simple act of letting someone know that what they said or did was hurtful, takes courage, but once again it is freeing to the soul.

The text today is not just about ending someone's life, no it is about killing someone's spirit.  It is even more about how Love conquers...Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. (1 Peter 4:8)

Read the Matthew 5:21-26 text here.  Listen to a reading of the Matthew 5:21-26 text here.

No comments: