Pageviews past week

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Phillipians 2:1-11 (Reaching Out By Looking Out)


"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only at your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."

The Christmas season is upon us, and with that comes many opportunities to reach out. Drop a few coins or dollars into the red kettle, or wrap up a shoe box for those who will be spending their Christmas in the shelter. These are all noble gestures indeed, as God does call us to give to the needy numerous times in the bible. I believe this passage though, speaks of our every day lives. It reaches out to us, and reminds us of God's message to reach out to others during the holidays, and also the other eleven months of the year. Not just with canned goods and trinkets, but with our hearts.

This whole concept reminds me of going on a diet. Years back when my weight was far beyond what was comfortable, I went on diet after diet. Nothing worked long term, it was temporary success at best. Then I attended a Weight Watchers meeting. There I had my belief confirmed, they said, "Diets don't work." I said "AMEN to that! They taught us about lifestyle changes and constant awareness of our eating habits and overall behaviors. It's about changing your thinking and adjusting your actions based on an established program. It's about long term contentment. It's about a promise that if you follow the plan, life will not be easy, but it will be better....and in the end, you win big time! Maintaining a daily diet of humility and obedience, hmmmm, I guess that's what they mean by WWJD.

No comments: