Pageviews past week

Thursday, January 19, 2012

1 Corinthians 11:17-34

Merriam-Webster defines communion as an act or instance of sharing; a synonym is fellowship.  I must admit that I do not remember ever reading today's passages before.  Does that ever happen to you?  I am sure I have, for I have been in 1 Corinthians often over the years, but for some reason it wasn't until this week I studied these particular verses.

Paul is telling the Believers at Corinth that observing the Communion feast is a big deal.  He is reprimanding them for approaching the meal while their hearts were not right with God or with one another.  Communion is all about unity, sharing, fellowship and love.  The practice of the people in Corinth would be to come together for a meal first - the rich would bring lavish dishes to be shared among other wealthy believers, often leaving the poor to go hungry.

"For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” (1 Corinthians 11:23-25)

Paul admonished their behavior instructing that Communion is about coming together, about remembering Jesus and all He taught; the most important lesson being love.  The Sundays when the Communion Feast is celebrated is a special time.  I enjoy sharing this moment with fellow Believers.  It is always a special time when I am able to partake of this observance with people who mean so much to me.  I had to learn this though, just as the early church had to learn to real meaning of sharing in The Lord's Supper.

Read the 1 Corinthians 11:17-34 text here.  Listen to an audio reading of 1 Corinthians 11:17-34 here.

No comments: