Pageviews past week

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

1 Corinthians 11:2-16

What are you thinking of when reading the Words set aside for us today? I would love to be a mouse in the corner listening in on the conversations this passage will evoke. Why is head covering of lack of head covering an issue? What can possibly be the reason for this teaching?

I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic grade school. Every morning we attended Mass and as a girl, I was required to wear something on my head. It was important enough to us that I would not dream of entering the church without a scarf or hat or even a handkerchief covering my head. I never questioned it as a child, but now I wonder…why?

We have been learning about relationships in 1 Corinthians; relationships with God and with one another. We have been instructed as to proper behavior for a Christian, appropriate ways in which to conduct ourselves. We are being taught about obedience. For me this passage is all about humbling myself and becoming totally committed to Christ. Often that will mean I must not be a stumbling block for someone else. It may mean too that I need to trust and obey Scripture.

“Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.” (1 Corinthians 11:13-15)

A woman covering her head in the Temple was custom, a man not covering his head was custom. Why cause a stir and give a new Believer cause to doubt? Today, it is not custom, so to wear or not to wear a something on my head in Church is not an issue, but obedience and humility are still valid matters. Whether I have long or short hair is not a societal concern, but trust in God and believing His Word remains a follower’s lifelong pursuit.

Lesson: Christian men and women should conduct themselves in a respectful, orderly way not only in worship but also in daily life.
Read the 1 Corinthians 11:2-16 text here.  Listen to an audio reading of 1 Corinthians 11:2-16 here.

No comments: