Pageviews past week

Friday, January 6, 2012

1 Corinthians 4:6-21

Paul certainly had his work cut out for him. The new church in Corinth was struggling, much like our churches today struggle.  Gossip and pride ran rampant.  One of the first things I had to deal with as a new believer was my habit of gossip.  Why do we do this; because we need to feel superior and important?  So, what that means is those who thrive on gossip are feeding their own inferiority complexes at the expense of others.

"Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, “Do not go beyond what is written.” Then you will not be puffed up in being a follower of one of us over against the other. 7 For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?" (1 Corinthians 4:6-7)

No one has any right to boast about anything.  No one is better than anyone else.  God sent His Son to save everyone, not just certain special people.  No one is more special than his neighbor.  So, if I am Christian why do I sometimes feel superior to others?  I not only feel superior, I act that way as well. I am reminded of the words of Rick Warren in The Purpose Driven Life, “It is not all about me.”  Once I get over myself and my self-importance life will be sweeter and I will love my neighbor as myself.  The Golden Rule applies today too.


Read the 1 Corinthians 4:6-21 text here.  Listen to a reading of the 1 Corinthians 4:6-21 text here.

No comments: