Pageviews past week

Thursday, January 5, 2012

1 Corinthians 3:1-4:5

There is much going on in these verses and I find it difficult to zero in on which to address here today.  We have the message of preparing to receive solid food in place of milk.  We are to grow up, learn about God and practice to live as adults, knowledgeable in the ways of the world of Jesus; not depending on worldly men such as Apollos or Paul. These men are good men, they disciple the people, but they are not God.

“Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly.” (1 Corinthians 3:1-3)

Paul tells how he planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.  Now you are talking my language.  Once I began to cultivate a personal relationship with Jesus, I began to understand about hope and peace; two things I did not possess before.  Once I began to live as one who was saved, comprehending the value of living in peace.  Simple things began to interest me, things I never recognized as gifts from God for me to enjoy. 

“I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.” (1 Corinthians 3:6-7)

One summer I decided to start a flower garden, one which would yield beautiful flowers for me to cut and bring inside and also share with others.  Flowers bring smiles to all faces.  My neighbors and co-workers of all ages loved receiving a small arrangement of color and fragrance to grace their desk or counter-top.  God opened my eyes that summer; then He opened my heart to sharing His gift of summer delight in a vase.

“For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.” (1 Corinthians 3:9)

What I am trying to say is God will grow us if we take the time to plant the seed and do some watering.


Read the 1 Corinthians 3:1-4:5 text here.  Listen to a reading of the 1 Corinthians 3:1-4:5 text here.

No comments: