Pageviews past week

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Isaiah 9:1-7

Over the past year or so I have been struck by the many times I have read in various devotionals or studies, of the value of struggles.  Lessons are taught about how rich our faith life becomes after experiencing pain and sorrow.  We are told to "consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you experience trials of many kinds" (James 1:2)  I can open my journal and easily find notes about time of testing.  One entry read, "Real maturity is never the result of a single experience."

"Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were in distress. In the past he humbled the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the future he will honor Galilee of the nations, by the Way of the Sea, beyond the Jordan —"
(Isaiah 9:1)

I love the book of Isaiah and am almost always assured of great words of wisdom when I dive into a chapter and this one is no exception.  When we are in the midst of a cloud, when life is overwhelming us and we can't seem to catch our breath, Isaiah is telling us the Lord may not spare us from troubles, but if we follow Him wholeheartedly, He will see us through them.

Personally, I know this to be true.  I feel my faith is stronger now, more real, not just something I feel, but something I live.  Having witnessed some of the miracles in the season of my husband's illness and death, I know that Jesus is real and that He is love.  The Lord did not spare me that pain, but He did see me through those dark days and even blessed me with memories I will hold forever.

Read the Isaiah 9:1-7 text here.  Listen to an audio version of the Isaiah 9:1-7 text here.

No comments: