Pageviews past week

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Exodus 3:7-15

Have you ever been given an assignment that you felt was way outside your skill level?  Have you ever felt like you were in over your head?  Do you remember what happened; how you got out of that predicament.

This scenario reminds of the first day on the job.  I got through the interview process, having prepared a resume' that enticed a potential employer to meet with me.  Then when I landed the job and appeared for duty the first day, I started to feel inadequate.  What if's filled my mind and I allowed fear and doubt get the better of me.

Exodus 3:11-12 (NIV)
"But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"  And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain."


Moses is expressing fears and doubts to God, as he is given his instructions for freeing the Israelite nation from captivity.  God chose Moses; he knew Moses' job experience and his heart.  God wasn't worried that Moses wasn't up to the challenge.  He knew he was capable.  But, to calm him down God told him Aaron would be with him.  Somehow it is always better when we know we aren't alone; when someone we are familiar with is by our side.

I think that is why God made us as relational beings, creatures who need other people in their lives to be complete.  There is nothing like the gift of a friend to help us feel better about ourselves.  Knowing I don't walk alone makes it easier to stand tall and face the unknown.

Read the text here.  Listen to an audio recording of the text here.

No comments: