Pageviews past week

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Luke 22:7-23

There is a verse in the Bible many will recognize and claim and it is: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11) This was a favorite with both my husband and me.  We had both attended a weekend retreat at our church (at different times) and this was the verse each of our groups adopted.

There is such comfort to be found in these words, especially for a new believer, a fresh follower who has just accepted the challenge to grow a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  At such a vulnerable time as this, to hear the words of Our Lord saying His plans include Hope and Future, many begin a faith journey of a lifetime.  

As I read today's scripture I was reminded of this declaration.  When Jesus was giving instructions to Peter and John regarding the preparations for the Passover Meal, it became obvious He had planned this event ahead of time.  The scene was set and all the characters, right down to the man carrying water, had an important role to carry out.  Jesus commands and the faithful trust and obey.

He replied, “As you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him to the house that he enters, and say to the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’  He will show you a large room upstairs, all furnished. Make preparations there.” (Luke 22:10-12)

The fact that our LORD has a plan for us makes it possible for me to carry on in the face of adversity; it give me a reason to move forward when things aren’t has I think they should be.  God has a plan, Jesus has a plan and I know that is all I need today.


Note: Today is the first anniversary of my husband’s death.  The verses were switched around (yesterday and today) quite by accident by this writer, but certainly no accident by our God.  I dedicate this devotional to the men of Dave’s renewal team, who visited, loved and prayed for him during the final weeks of his life.  God’s plan is falling into place quite nicely.



No comments: