Pageviews past week

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Luke 5:1-11

Do you like to fish?  When I was a young girl we lived near a lake and in the spring and summer my sister and I would sometimes accompany our father fishing in the evening.  I was always excited when we were able to go with him, not because I loved to fish, but because just maybe I would catch something and my father would be proud.

Today we find Peter, James and John having a fishing lesson from the Master.  When Jesus suggested they put out their nets Peter explained to Jesus the reality of fishing during the heat of the day.  Peter also recognized Jesus as different from most and he respected Jesus' word and took Him fishing.

Until studying this passage, I always thought the disciples responded to Jesus immediately when He called them to follow Him.  But it seems until this day, witnessing this miracle, they were part-time followers. Today all that changed and they left their boats and nets and never looked back.

"For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon's partners. Then Jesus said to Simon, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men." So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him"  (Luke 5:9-11)


I used to want to go fishing to get my father's attention because I wanted to do something he would approve of.  Jesus taught His good friends that fishing was going to take on a whole new meaning for them.  The analogy of fishing for men was one they didn't understand but would soon embrace with all their hearts.


Read Luke 5:1-11 here.

Listen to Luke 5:1-11 here.

No comments: