Pageviews past week

Monday, March 12, 2012

John 10:1-10 Jesus the gate for the sheep

Do you ever wonder, "Who really cares about me?"  We all experience moments when we feel insignificant or unimportant, but nothing could be farther from the truth.  We belong to God and that alone makes us a valuable treasure.  And our God does treasure us and He stands guard over us as well.

If you know anything about shepherds and the sheep they guard and protect, you would see the reason God uses them to illustrate how he cares for us.  Sheep are not the brightest animals in the world and they really do need a keeper.  Shepherds are trained to guard and protect their charges.  They care about them and seek them out when they wander off.

Can you see the parallel here?  Can you tell where I am going with this train of thought? There have been so many times in my life when I was just plain stupid.  My actions would indicate that I had no common sense and lacked personal pride.  But, God still sought me out; He chased me down until I gave Him my life.  Similar to the sheep that get themselves caught in the most dangerous situations and the shepherd who rescues them from themselves, God does that for me and for you too.

Unlike sheep that need to be guided all their life, I will learn from my mistakes, and eventually submit to my Shepherd's embrace.  I know there is only one way to be safe and have a future and that is through Jesus.  Jesus, the Good Shepherd, is the only way into the heavenly fold.

"Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture." (John 10:7-9)


Read John 10:1-10 here.

Listen to an audio recording of John 10:1-10 here.

No comments: