Pageviews past week

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Romans 2:17-24

Many of us who claim to be Christian live more by the rule of, "Do as I say not as I do."  I can remember my father telling me this when I questioned why I had to go to church on Sunday and he didn't; why I had to watch my mouth and he didn't.

Romans 2:17-24 speaks to this situation and reminds all of us that we need to practice what we preach, no exceptions.  Paul says that if we do not live up to what we know, we are no different than non-believers.  We all need to learn that the law is more than a set of rules; it is a guideline for living.  Like the Eight Beatitudes listed in the Sermon on the Mount - they are words to live you entire life by.

"I have a special word of caution for you who are sure that you have it all together yourselves and, because you know God's revealed Word inside and out, feel qualified to guide others through their blind alleys and dark nights and confused emotions to God. While you are guiding others, who is going to guide you? I'm quite serious. While preaching "Don't steal!" are you going to rob people blind? Who would suspect you? The same with adultery. The same with idolatry." (Romans 2:19-22 MSG)

I am constantly reminded of the Bible Study teacher who implored all of his students to stop and think.  If we are going to wear a cross around our necks, have bumper stickers touting Scripture verses or display an Ichthus on a license plate we had better be prepared to back it up with impeccable behavior.


Read the text here.
Listen to the text here.

No comments: