Pageviews past week

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Romans 14:1-12

I would title the scripture assignment for today, Freedom in Christ.  A number of years ago I began attending Al-Anon, a 12-step recovery group.  Soon I moved to a Christian 12-step program and it is there I learned much about myself and about the freedom one gains when walking with Christ.

Some of the best advice I was given in both programs was to mind my own business.  As an ACOA (adult child of alcoholics), I would mind everyone's business but my own.  I learned as a child to control my environment, to be aware of situations and what my reactions needed to be at all times.  I was very good at scene setting in my mind; always prepared to respond accordingly to any of a number of scenarios that might be waiting.

The recovery program changed my life.  The fact that it was a Christ centered recovery program changed my heart too.  Once I learned that I was the only person I could change and started to embrace the fact that God is in control, and I'm not God, peace surrounded me and life got so much better.  I was reminded of this when I read the Words for today.

"Your critical and condescending ways aren't going to improve your position there one bit. Read it for yourself in Scripture:

"As I live and breathe," God says,
"every knee will bow before me;
Every tongue will tell the honest truth
that I and only I am God."
So tend to your knitting. You've got your hands full just taking care of your own life before God." 
(Romans 14:11-12 MSG)

We are each on our own journey, with our individual flaws and faults.  You don't need me to try and change you, only God has that job.  We are to love one another as we love Christ.  It's just that simple.

Read the text here.
Listen to the text here.

No comments: