Pageviews past week

Monday, May 7, 2012

Philippians 1:1-11

I once listened to a Philippians teaching shared by Jill Briscoe.  She referred to Paul's letter to the Philippians as 'jail mail' written by a free man in chains. Paul's letter to the faithful of Philippi is a letter to people he truly loved, people who partnered with him to spread the love of Jesus.

When I am in the company of other believers, I feel energized.  When I am working alongside fellow followers, I have the sense of joy and peace that is so different from other situations.  There is a writer's conference I attend with about 600 Christian women.  We are gathered in the same room, praising and praying, and there is no feeling quite like it. Having experienced that, I understand Paul's words below.

"It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me." Philippians 1:7

Philippi was a Roman colony and the Romans had a strong opposition to the Gospel. Paul spent many days in Roman prisons, and he spread the Word of God even in lock up. During his times of confinement he knew the members of his church were praying for him and that gave him courage and strength to continue his ministry. The prayers of our Friends in the Fellowship of Believers, lifted for us whenever we are chained to trouble, are mighty.

The prayers on our behalf by Friends in the Fellowship of Believers provide strength to go on. Petitions lifted up for us when life's challenges have us in the valley, are a thing of beauty. The words of Paul are echoed, “I thank my God every time I remember you.” (Philippians 1:3)

Read Philippians 1:1-11 here

Listen to Philippians 1:1-11 here


No comments: