Pageviews past week

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Philippians 1:12-30

It is difficult to imagine not being able to walk into church and participate in a worship service.  I can't quite fathom what it would be like to have to sneak around under the cover of darkness in order to gather as a Body of Believers and share a time of prayer.  It doesn't seem possible, given the freedoms we have and take for granted, that others do not share in this gift.  I don't even know what that might look like.

"I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death."  (Philippians 1:20 NIV)

Paul understood persecution as did the followers of Jesus.  I remember when I was in Catholic grade school during religion classes we often were told of these days.  We heard stories of Christians living in underground catacombs, hiding out, in constant fear for their lives. I don't know this type of love and commitment.  I can't comprehend a dedication to Christ that is so strong I would willingly live in an underground cemetery so that I could worship the God of my choosing.

Oh, how I wish I could be confident that I too would have the courage of Paul to stand up to my critics and face them with love and compassion.  I know I have opportunity every day to do this. Today, the persecution we endure may be simply hurtful comments or derogatory remarks, tomorrow we might face imprisonment.

Our future and the future of our children and their children depend upon us today.  Our religious freedom was purchased at a price.  Are we prepared to pay the same price?  The Book of Philippians was, as Jill Briscoe put it, "Jail mail, written by a free man in chains."

Read Philippians 1:12-30 here

Listen to Philippians 1:12-30 here

No comments: