Pageviews past week

Friday, July 20, 2012

Joshua 15-17

These three chapters which encompass the readings for Friday and Saturday, list the allotments for various tribes after dividing the Promised Land.  One thing noted in these three chapters is the people did not follow God's direction thoroughly.  Perhaps you caught this in verses like these:

Joshua 15:63 "Judah could not dislodge the Jebusites, who were living in Jerusalem; to this day the Jebusites live there with the people of Judah."

Joshua 16:10 "They did not dislodge the Canaanites living in Gezer; to this day the Canaanites live among the people of Ephraim but are required to do forced labor."

Joshua 17:12-13 "Yet the Manassites were not able to occupy these towns, for the Canaanites were determined to live in that region. However, when the Israelites grew stronger, they subjected the Canaanites to forced labor but did not drive them out completely."

Does this failure mean trouble in the future? Most assuredly. The fact they did not completely drive out the pagan peoples and their gods caused many problems, as we will see when we read the book of Judges.

How does this apply to us? I know that for me, when I do things half way, or am satisfied with less than my very best, I could face consequences. Knowing the right thing to do and doing it, are two different things. I might know in my heart that it is not a good idea to hang out with certain people. I might be susceptible to their behavior and influence, perhaps they are from my former life. When I do it anyway my weak will could get me into trouble.

When I know that God specifically commanded me to do things differently and I resist, I am disappointing Him and setting myself up for pain and trouble. God was specific when he told Joshua what to do when defeating the Kings and taking the land. But, not all the land was freed in this fashion.

When God offers opportunity to do the right thing, follow His will, we will be blessed when we do. Life feels good and we may have ourselves heartache. His will is best.  Even Jesus prayed,"Thy will, be done."

Read Joshua 15-17 here

Listen to Joshua 15-17 here

No comments: