Pageviews past week

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Joshua 14:6-15




As a child, I never cared for my name. It was uncommon then, and still is today. It has no family history, and when I inquired about the reason they named me as they did, I recall my parents saying they just liked the name. Why, I wondered. It doesn’t really have a meaning attached to it. I felt rather empty, knowing that others had been given names based on tradition, or heart-felt rational with meaning and purpose attached to the title their child would live with day after day. Even as an adult, I find myself wondering if my life would have somehow been different had I been given a strong, well respected name.
What does your name mean?

Caleb means Faithful, Bold, Pure Heart
That’s pretty cool. I would have liked a name with a meaning like that!
Our reading in Joshua today focuses on Caleb and the way he followed the Lord whole-heartedly. Synonyms for whole-heartedly are: entirely, with all your heart, unreservedly, undivided, enthusiastically, completely, unconditionally, sincerely, very sincerely.  The meaning of his name surely reflects his ability to live life with gusto and purpose. In fact, because of his faithfulness to God, Caleb told of being eighty-five years old with the strength and vigor he possessed the day Moses sent him out to battle over forty years prior. Because of his dedication to the Lord, Caleb was blessed with many things, including an inheritance for him and his descendants that was promised to him by Moses. Caleb fought long and hard for God’s purpose, and his life was surely filled with trials and heartache. Can you relate? When it was all said and done though, he received just what was promised, and as it says at the end of Joshua 14:15, “Then the land had rest from war.” 

Read Joshua 14:6-15 here
Listen to Joshua 14:6-15 here

No comments: