Pageviews past week

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Joshua 22:30-34


"And the Reubenites and the Gadites gave the altar this name: A Witness Between Us that the Lord is God." (Joshua 22:34)

There are a number of lessons in the final five verses of chapter 22 and they point to the value of harmony and peaceful co-existence.  But also these verses touch on the importance of holding one another accountable.  While there was no wrong doing in this story, there was the appearance of it to some.  To their credit the two sides talked it out before donning their armor.

My thoughts immediately went to the fact these people, all 12 tribes, have lived together for over fifty years.  They grew up together, fought mighty armies side-by-side.  They worshiped God, and cared for one another all their lives.  Why did such doubts and fears enter their minds when the Reubenites and Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh built this altar?  Surely they have all built altars together before.  Why the doubt now?

I could ask the same question of myself.  God has brought me so far in this life.  He has changed my heart in a most masterful way.  He has taken care of my every need on a daily basis and He has walked with me through heartbreaking times; still I doubt.  He has read my mind, answered my prayers, talked to my spirit, wiped my tears; still I doubt.

I guess it isn't all that difficult to understand how those west of the Jordan feared the worst from their brothers east of the Jordan.  But finally it would seem they learned a valuable lesson.  They went to their brother and talked it out, discovered the error of their assumptions and were united once again even stronger.

My times of doubt and fear always result in my faith growing stronger because God showed me the error of my ways, He pointed out my "stink'n think'n" and loved me every step of the way.


Read Joshua 22:30-34 here

Listen to Joshua 22:30-34 here

No comments: