Pageviews past week

Friday, August 17, 2012

Joshua 24:14-28

Joshua 24 contains one of the more familiar verses in scripture, and a very important one.  These two lines implore Believers of all ages to love God.  These lines spell out the importance of there being only one God in our lives; only one object of worthy of our worship and praise and that is the One True God.  Idols are a dime a dozen and they are man-made with no power of their own.

We have been reading for almost two months in the Book of Joshua and I don't know about you, but I have never spent so much time chewing on and then digesting one specific book before.  I feel like I have more knowledge and understanding of God's chosen people and her leaders. I also understand my God better; I know in my heart that He wants only the best for me and that He loves deeply.

God has been cautioning His people since the beginning of time to focus on His love only; to turn to Him for comfort and answers to lives problems.  "So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, “Get rid of the foreign gods you have with you, and purify yourselves and change your clothes. (Genesis 35:2)

Lessons learned in this book appear in many other portions of scripture like,"But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." (Ruth 1:16) The God we serve demands our undivided love and loyalty.

“Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord.  But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:14-15)

Through this study I have come to recognize the idols in my life; I can see more clearly that which pulls me from the heart of God and I will choose God every day.  "But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”

Read Joshua 24:14-28 here

Listen to Joshua 24:14-28 here

No comments: