Pageviews past week

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Joshua 24:1-13


Joshua is reminding the people just how far they have come with God at their side.  He is listing for them many of the blessings they, as a nation have shared.  Joshua is preparing them for what lies ahead; for a time when they will be on their own.

"Joshua said to all the people, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says:(Joshua 24:2)...Then you lived in the desert for a long time.(Joshua 24:7)... I delivered you out of his hand (Joshua 24:10)...So I gave you a land on which you did not toil and cities you did not build; and you live in them and eat from vineyards and olive groves that you did not plant.’" (Joshua 24:13)

The people had come far in the past 50+ years.  They had grown into mature and faithful followers and God recognized their faith and rewarded them.  But, has humans Joshua knew his people were susceptible to sin of all kinds; just as we are today.  Sin is our tendency and we have to be diligent to fight against it.  The Israelites had come so far and Joshua wanted only to remind them of this journey and convict them to keep following the LORD.

This reminder is valid today as well.  Every day I need a nudge to do what I know in my heart I should do.  Every day I need a reminder that God is the only God I should give worship and praise.  Like many things in life, this is a lesson I need to hear over and over again.


Deuteronomy 6:12 (NIV)
"be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."    


Read Joshua 24:1-13 here

Listen to Joshua 24:1-13 here

No comments: