Pageviews past week

Monday, August 27, 2012

The Story - Chapter 2 - Genesis 12-13

I have so many questions about now, you too? The first we hear of Abram is in the preceding chapter when Abram’s lineage is laid out for us. We know nothing of the man up to this point other than the fact he is married to Sarai who is barren and he has a cousin, Lot.

"The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you.
 “I will make you into a great nation
    and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
    and you will be a blessing.
 I will bless those who bless you,
    and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
    will be blessed through you.” (Genesis 12:1-3)

God does not have to explain His actions to us. He created us and knows each one of us inside out. He knew the potential of His servant Abram and most certainly created him for such a time as this. Just as He created each and every one of us for the time in which we live.

Abram had a very big job to do. God intimated as much when he instructed his servant to pack up and go, saying, “I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you…” I wonder what went through his 75 year old head when he heard these words. I wonder what his wife had to say about it. Sarai was barren so the words “I will make you into a great nation…” must have had her worried a bit.

Studying this portion of Scripture should have us thinking about our call from God. What is it He has asked of us? Have we been moved across county, across continent? Have we heard his words in our hearts and did we obey like Abram? When God calls, we can be sure His plans are mighty. They could be mighty scary, mighty difficult, mighty challenging, but they will be mighty.

Read Genesis 12-13 here

Listen to Genesis 12-13 here

No comments: