Pageviews past week

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Story - Chapter 3 - Genesis 41-42

It is ironic that it was Joseph's dreams that got him into such trouble with his brothers, and now it is Pharaoh's dreams that will get him out of trouble. Joseph's ability to interpret dreams, a gift from God, put him in Pharaoh's good graces and he was elevated from prisoner to person in charge of everything and everyone in the nation, with the exception of the throne.

Genesis 41:39-40 (NIV)

“Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, "Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you."

Joseph’s story is amazing and the road he traveled is one that encompasses many emotions. First, when the young conceited boy used the fact he was best loved by their father I cringed with embarrassment for his youthful bad conduct. But when his brothers got carried away in their jealously, I was stunned by their behavior. To consider killing the lad because their father favored him was appalling.

I breathed a bit easier when Reuben went to bat for his younger brother, but the boy was still sold into slavery. Deceit seemed to come easy for the eleven when they approached their father, Jacob, to inform him of Joseph’s death. Sound like a soap opera yet?

Chapters 41 and 42 are so interesting to read. I couldn’t possibly do justice to the story in this short devotional space. You have to read it. Chapter 42 illustrates what happens when God is obeyed, when His people believe in Him and act accordingly. I have to admit, the first time I got the full picture of this story was in a movie. I was spellbound by the storyline and couldn’t wait to read it in my own Bible.

God works like this in our lives today too. I would love to be sitting you, listening to your stories. Let me know if you would like to do this sometime. Our stories need to be told.

Read Genesis 41-42 here

Listen to Genesis 41-42 here

No comments: